MATH238 COURSEWORK (Statistics)
You should work on this coursowork in self-selected groups of three students however if you prefer to work in a pair or individuay then it is okay to do this. Students who work in a group for the course work should only submit one piece of work. clearly labelled with al of their ID numbers.
You should type set your Coursework using Word This submission must consist d no more than 4 sides of A4 pages, with font of size 12
You should give due consideration to your personal time management to ensure that coursework is submitted in plenty Of time prior to the deadline
Note that plagiaram will be treated according to University regulations Please see www.plymouth.ac.uk/
This course work is worth 30% 0f the overall coursowork mark for this module. so it ts worth 10.5% of the overall module mark .
This assessment is designed to test your ability to:
• Produce waphical displays of data
• Calculate appropriate statistical quantities for a data set
• Use regression analysis
Your work will be assessed according to the following criteria • Presentation of graphical displays • Correct application of statistical metrtocts
• Correct conclusions • Clear and concise prosentation of your solutions
2) The table below gives the net profits, in thousands of pounds, of a small engineering company (bring the first 10 years that it has been m business.
Year, x Net profit £000, 1 33.5 2 46.3 3 49.6 4 56 5 74 6 6 89.5 7 1185 8 142.5 9 195.8 10 2481
(a) Use Excel to obtain a good regression model for this data. taking the net profit as the response variable and year as the explanatory variable. You should include and briefly discuss.
• a scatter plot
• initial use of trend nos to assess the possible models
• the proportion of venation explained by your model
• tests that the coefficients are significant
• analysis of the residuals • the equation for the Net Profit in terms of the Year
(b) Use your regression model to estimate the net profit: (a) in year 11 and (r) in year 15 Comment on the reliability of the results you obtain.