History 101 Dr. Iannucci
Western Civilization I Research Paper
must answer one of the following
essay questions in eight well-written
paragraphs with appropriate specific
examples to support your key points. Even if it is not stated in the question,
you must consider the social/cultural, political, and/or economic influence in
each body paragraph. You must provide at least three in-text citations via APA style from at least three different
scholarly sources. You must include a References
page with a complete list of all in-text citations at the end of the paper.
1) How did the encounters of the Greeks with
the Near East and Middle East shape the political, economic, and cultural
developments of the Hellenistic world?
2) How and why did the policies of Augustus
help shape the future of the Roman Empire?
3) How and why was Diocletian able to restore
order to the Roman Empire? Identify in terms of long-lasting success.
4) How and why may we explain the success of
Islam after the death of Muhammad?
5) How did the Christian Church control the
political, social, and religious life of Europe from 1000-1300?
6) How and why did the universities emerge as
centers of medieval learning after 1000?
7) What is humanism? How did it help shape
the literary and artistic developments of the Italian Renaissance? Identify key
advocates and how humanist thinking transform culture in the cities versus the
8) How and why did European encounters in the
Americas after 1500 transform economic and social life in both the Americas and
9) How and why did European encounters with
Africa before 1500 help shape the West?
10) Compare and contrast the religious beliefs of Roman
Catholics, Lutherans, Calvinists, Unitarians and Anabaptists. Explain how the
specific rituals of each distinguish one from the other and the impact on
11) How and why did the Protestant Reformation
develop in Switzerland? Identify the key reform movements and how the leaders
of each helped shape a new form of Christianity and culture.
12) How and why did both Protestants and
Catholics try to regulate popular culture between 1550 and 1650? How may we
explain the great witch-hunts of the late sixteenth and seventeenth centuries?
13) How and why did the Scientific Revolution
develop in Europe after the 1500s? How and why did it affect the European view
14) Why do historians consider the scientific
revolution a "revolution?" Do you think that it altered the
fundamental ways that Europeans viewed their world? Why or why not?