ASSIGNMENT #4- STEM CELLS
Since stem cells are in the news (quite a bit these days), I would like you to take some time to learn something about them. The bibliography and interview are not part of the word count or 6 previous slides
Part 1 - Requirements for the interview:
(1) Read at least three reputable sources on stem cell research.
(2) You must use the following three sources: internet; reference book(s); scientific journal(s). Each source should be cited only once.
Now that you have done some research, you are to interview someone (from your household or place of work, school, etc…) to determine how aware that person is about the issues surrounding stem cells. Use the following questions (and any two of your own)for your interview:
1) Do you know how stem cells are retrieved?
2) Do you know how stem cells are being used in research?
3) Does a zygote (early fetus) have to be destroyed in order to do stem cell research?
4) Do you think stem cell research should be stopped or allowed to continue? Why?
5) Please get the interviewee's permission to post the interview as part of your Assignment. Please copy and paste the following text into a Word document, have them sign it, and submit a scan or picture of the signed permission form as a separate document for this assignment. I will us this to verify that you indeed interviewed this person and obtained their permission:
I, (print interviewee name)___________________ ___________________, have been interviewed by (print student name)____________________ ___________________ on the topic of stem cells, and give them permission to post my opinions as part of an assignment for their Human Anatomy and Physiology 1 class for the Spring 2020 semester.
Interviewee e-mail and/or phone number: _________________________________________
Part 2- Requirements for Power Point Presentation:
(a) Explain what stem cells are and give an example of current use of stem in medicine (limit 200 words. Please include word count and no more than 2 slides.)
(b) Based on the interviewee's responses, and what you have heard in the media, make an inference of the public's general knowledge of stem cell research. (limit 50 words. Please include word count and no more than 1 slide )
(c) Present your findings in the form of a recommendation to the Curriculum Committee Representatives at the Board of Education in your county. Recommendations should address some of the myths, fears and misunderstandings. (limit 300 words. Please include word count and no more than 3 slides). Bibliography and interview are not part of the word count or 6 previous slides!