Song: This is America by Childish Gambino
Experience Music Project
The expressive arts such as painting, photography, dance, film, and music all contribute to the exchange of information and experience. The artists are experts in the field of their lives, their communities, and their art form. Music, in particular, with its combination of poetry has the ability to create a direct connection with us to our lives, our identities, and our communities. The lyrics combined with layers of instrumentation have the ability to elicit memories of personal life events while bringing together a community of listeners to share in the experience. Often times, songs address social and political issues through a personal lens of identity. Issues of race, gender, class, and privilege are woven through the words, their delivery, the music, and sometimes a music video.
This project requires you to pick one song that you connect then think about it critically thought structured analysis. Your task is to determine the relationship between society (audience) and the song lyrics that you have chosen.
Once you have a song, think about these questions to help you get started:
• Why do I like this song? • What about this song speaks to me about my life?
• What are the ideas and themes in this song? And, do I agree with them?
• How does this song connect to ideas about race and ethnicity?
• What are the ideas?
• How does the music support the feeling of lyrics?
• Does this song reflect my communities and me? How?
• If there is a video, what do I see that tells no about race and/or ethnicity?