A DALY or disability adjusted life years is a term used an an indicator of health status global and public health. It is a summary of losses due to premature death and years lived within a population.
Global Burden of Disease Study: See resources posted on blackboard
Choose one of the leading causes of DALY
COPD Low Back Pain Type 2 DM Self- Harm
Depression Coronary Disease/CVA Maternal Mortality Infant Mortality
Lung Cancer Liver Disease Sexual Assault Measles
Find a low- middle income nation which also experiences a similar increased morbidity and mortality from this condition and compare this to the United States
Points Paper Component
2.5 Explain the pathophysiology/ etiology of the problem
1.5 Identify and explain the risk factors for this problem
1.5 Determine who is most affected and the incidence/prevalence for this condition in both countries
7.5 Choose three (3) social determinants for health for each country and explain how these contribute to the increased incidence/prevalence and subsequent poor outcomes from this condition. They do not have to be the same for both countries After presenting the 3 social determinants, provide a summary on any similarities/differences and how different disparities/inequities in social determinants still lead to the same poor health outcome.
5.0 Identify three (3) interventions (public health, private, NGO etc.) which are being used in each country to control this chronic health problem and are these interventions effective?
2.5 Pick one Sustainable Development Goal and one Healthy People 2030 goal related to the problem and explain the relevance of the goal to the problem
3.0 Using an upstream thinking approach—pick one determinant that if improved would markedly decrease the morbidity and mortality of this health problem. Give a strong explanation with examples and explain how the role of the nurse fits into this plan.
1.5 Explain who COVID impacted the low/low middle county chosen (2-3 paragraphs)
3.0 Explain how you will bring the knowledge you learned from this project back to your bedside care
2.0 APA format (7th edition), grammar and format
- · Who is most affected and the incidence and prevalence of the condition in both countries?
- · Explain why this condition seems to be responsible for an increased mortality and morbidity in both countries.
- · Pick 3 social determinants of health and explain how these contribute to the increased incidence and prevalence and poor outcomes. They do not have to be the same for both countries
Think (but not limited to)
Culture/ Religion/ Ethnicity
- · In 2-3 paragraphs, explain how COVID-19 has affected the low income nation you chose
- · This paper can be done in pairs or as an individual There is not enough work for 3 people.
- · This paper should be no more than 7 pages long.
- · Resources other than those posted should be peer reviewed. Information from the WHO, CDC, etc. are acceptable but be observant of dates. All references should be before 2015.
- · APA and in text citations are a must. The paper will be submitted into safe assign. Any evidence of plagiarism will result in a score of zero percent. This assignment is 30% of the grade and therefore will result in failure of the course.