CMNS130B Assignment 2 Brief
Essay (30% of total grade),
For this assignment you will write a 1,500-word essay that focuses on analysis of a single media text. You may select any of the assigned media texts from the following list:
• The Hidden Fortress (Akira Kurosawa, 1958)
• The Mandalorian (Jon Favreau, 2019-20)
• American Psycho (Mary Harron, 2000)
• Nosferatu The Vampyre (Werner Herzog, 1979)
• Mulan (Tony Bancroft & Barry Cook, 1998)
• Parasite (Bong Joon Ho, 2019)
• The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Peter Jackson, 2001)
• The Oﬃce (Greg Daniels et al, 2005-2013)
You may select any single media text you wish from the list. You must then pair the media text you have selected with one of the essay topics from the following list:
1. Using examples from the media text you have selected, discuss the way this film constructs a sense of hyper-reality through its editing and/or special eﬀects. (Reading: Week 3)
2. Using examples from the media text you have selected, discuss its semiosphere and how social commentary is generated through the use of common characteristics of its genre. (Reading: Week 4)
3. Using examples from the media text you have selected, discuss how the political-economic structures of the cultural industries may have shaped the content of this media text. (Readings: Week 5 and/or 6)
4. Using examples from the media text you have selected, discuss how it relates to the concept of cultural imperialism. (Reading: Week 7)
You must refer to the appropriate readings available on the course page and also find additional academic resources from academic databases and libraries to provide evidence for your discussion and to support your arguments. All resources that you refer to must be properly cited in the text of your essay (using an appropriate and consistent citation format of your choice) and also be listed in a bibliography at the end of your essay.
Your assignments will be marked according to the following criteria:
• Knowledge and understanding - Your essay should include a detailed discussion of concepts relevant to this course that demonstrates to the reader your knowledge and understanding of the material. You must include a discussion of concepts from at least one of the appropriate assigned readings, and also include additional academic materials in your essay that are closely related to your topic, drawing primarily from academic work in the field of media and communications.
• Analysis and discussion – Your discussion should include your own analysis of academic theories and concepts applied to your topic, and closely relate these to a small number of well-identified examples. You should avoid being descriptive and focus your discussion on the meanings and implications of these concepts in light of your topic. You should also direct your discussion towards an argument that makes a clear conclusion about your topic.
• Academic skills - Assignments should be written using clear language and carefully proofread. All references, quotations, and paraphrased passages must be properly cited and appear in your bibliography using an appropriate format of your choice (APA, MLA, Harvard, or Chicago).
You must submit your assignment in PDF or Word format. Your submission file must also include your name and ID number at the top of the page. If you require an extension for any significant reason then you should email me in advance.
Every instruction is attached Zip file. plz, read it carefully. mandatory to follow every given instruction by the professor. A2 = assignment. and given slides to use an example asked by a professor in A2 pdf.
I have also have attached image in zip this is how you site professor slide texts. teacher name " Matthew Jeremy"
i will also attached week 7 slide as I get it.
You can start and do rest of part.
And week 7 part will continue after available of week 7 slide. i will provide you as soon as possible.
teacher marking very strictly and you can see it's 30% of the assignment. we must hit more than 25 out of 30.