ASSESSMENT ITEM 1: ESSAY
Aligned subject learning
outcomes • Critically examine the ideas that inform the questions: What is health? What is mental
• Understand conceptualisations of mental health and mental illness in relation to human
rights and social justice
• Gain an overview of mental health legislation and the shaping of social policy in relation
to mental health in Australia
• Understand mental health care in Australia
standards/ competencies https://www.aasw.asn.au/document/item/4551
Group or individual Individual assessment item
Weighting and due date 40% due 30 March, 2022 @ midnight
successful completion of
this assessment item You must achieve a minimum of 50% in order to pass this assessment item
ASSESSMENT ITEM 1: DESCRIPTION
Write an Essay on mental health care in Australia with a particular focus on human rights and social justice
and the impact of social policy on mental health. Based on your observations, readings, and experiences
reflect on the gaps that exists in service and suggest two possible solutions as a social work practitioner.
Even if you have no experience in this area of practice, use a common sense approach to pull together
your learning from this subject and present your ideas in a well-reasoned argument.
Your essay should cover the following areas:
• Briefly discuss the mental health care in Australia
• What are the particular needs for people from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander backgrounds
who are living with a mental illness?
• Discuss Australian policy directions and its impact on someone living with a mental illness?
• What are some of the gaps and suggest possible solutions as a practitioner.
You should provide an introduction and a conclusion. Headings are useful to use, as they allow the reader
to briefly skim the document before a more thorough read. Please do not use dot points. Clear, succinct
language is preferred. Word length: 2000 words
ASSESSMENT ITEM 1: CRITERIA SHEET (OR RUBRIC) see attached file for Rubric..