Social Determinants of Health (Unit 3 Discussion Board)
|Question # 47352||Writing||9 months ago|
Primary Discussion Response is due by Thursday (11:59:59pm Central), Peer Responses are due by Saturday (11:59:59pm Central).
Primary Task Response: Within the Discussion Board area, write 400–600 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas.
Peruse the following Web sites:
- County Health Rankings
- Community Commons
- San Diego County Health and Human Services Agency
- Data.gov Data Catalog
The concept behind the 3-4-50 model is that there are three unhealthy behaviors that influence four chronic diseases, which leads to 50% of all deaths. The percentage of deaths can vary by community or place. For example, in some communities, this can be 3-4-63 or 3-4-45.
As you peruse the Web sites above, respond to the following questions:
- How do the 3 behaviors in the 3-4-50 model impact the 4 diseases in your community?
- Can you find the mortality of these 4 diseases in your community?
- If you can, what is the percentage of deaths caused by these 4 diseases for your community?
- What are the underlying social determinants of health that impact the 3 behaviors in the 3-4-50 model?
- What are the health disparities observed from the data in your community (city or county)?
- Physical activity, or lack thereof, is 1 of the 3 behaviors that impacts the 4 diseases. What is the walkability index for your neighborhood (area)?
- Does this support the data as they relate to health conditions that are impacted by physical activity?
- From the data and the information you gathered, what recommendations might you have for your community?