For this assignment, write a PICOT question relevant to the nursing call (problem) that was introduced in the Nursing Situation assignment.
- Write a brief description of your nursing problem (no more than 2-3 sentences).
- Complete a written PICOT question in question format using the PICOT templates based on the type of question you are asking. Your PICOT question must be relevant to the discipline of nursing, nursing praxis, and your nursing situation. For example, do not craft a question that requires a social worker, a psychiatrist, a physician, or any other healthcare discipline outside of nursing to address your question and reach your stated outcome.
- Identify the type of PICOT question you will be using. The PICOT components must be relevant and matched to the type of PICOT question you selected. For instance, if you choose to use an intervention-type question, the "I" component (intervention) must be an action that can result in the outcome (O component).
- Your PICOT question must be correctly formatted according to the type of question identified (use the PICOT question template: ).
- The components of the question clearly fit with the problem identified within the nursing situation/call to nursing -- you must identify the components of your PICOT question. (Please note, "T" is optional.) Identify components of your PICOT Question: P = Population; I = Intervention or issue of interest; C = Comparison intervention or issue for observation; O = Outcome; T = Time.
- The outcome is measurable.
- The PICOT question is a foreground question and not a background question.
- The PICOT question is patient-centered and relates to nursing.
- The question can be addressed through the evaluation of research.