PUBH6005 Epidemiology ASSESSMENT 2
|Question # 48268||Writing||1 month ago|
ASSESSMENT 2 Brief
Subject Code and Name
1000 words (+/- 10%)
This assessment addresses the following subject learning outcomes:
· Differentiate between different types of research designs, including observation and experimental
· Linking exposure and disease, generalisablility & feasibility
Week 7 Sunday 11:55pm AEST/ AEDT
*Please Note: This time is Sydney time (AEST or AEDT). Please convert to your own time zone (eg. Adelaide = 11:25pm).
The scientific integrity of the study and the credibility of the data from the study substantially depends on the study design. This assignment covers learning topics from Epidemiological Study designs and Measures of Association used in different primary research study designs. Measures of association are used to compare the an association between exposure and health outcome and/or can be used to compare two or more populations, typically those with differing exposure or health outcome status, to identify factors with possible etiological roles in health outcome onset. Note that evidence of an association does not imply that the relationship is causal. The association can be artifactual or non-causal as well.
PUBH6005: Epidemiology Assignment
By prescribing this assessment, students are able to reflect on their understanding of study design, sampling and measures of association.
This assignment has two parts. PART 1 involves reading three primary research articles, and applying
what you have learned about epidemiological study designs and measures of association to answer a series of short answer questions. PART 2 requires you to consider several health issues and decide
the most appropriate study design for investigating that health issue. You also need to answer advantages, disadvantages and ethics of each study design in the given question.
In this assessment, you are required to read three different research articles that will be provided to you in Blackboard under Assessment 2. Please read all three articles provided to you carefully and then using your skills that you have learn so far, please attempt the short answer questions in this part of the assessment. Please read the questions carefully.
1. Describe the aim/objective of the study given in each of the three research articles (5 marks)
2. Describe the study participants in each of the research paper in terms of their geographical location, inclusion and exclusion criteria ( 15 marks)
3. How was disease (health outcome) assessed in each of the three research papers (10 marks)
4. How was the exposure assessed in each of the three different research papers. Name the statistical analysis used in each of the study to assess the relationship between exposure and outcome (15 marks)
5. Choose any one study and describe to what extent can the results of that study be generalized to other populations ? (5 marks)
Choose any of the 5 scenarios from given below, identify the best study design to explore each health issue and explain your reason for choosing this study design. Include an explanation of advantages and disadvantages of using the selected study design and include ethical considerations. You may support your reasons with justification and referenced examples of a research study.
1. Premenopausal women with uterine leiomyoma and non-uterine leiomyoma were selected in a study to assess the association between uterine leiomyoma and increased exposure to ovarian hormones (10 marks)
2. A study was conducted with an aim to evaluate the separate and combined associations of coffee and tea consumption with cause-specific mortality in Korea (10 marks)
3. An online survey was conducted to assess the mental health status and severity of depression and anxiety of college students in a university in the London during the COVID-19 pandemic (10 marks)
4. A study was conducted at population level across 60 countries to study the geographical differences for per capita meat consumption and colon cancer (10 marks)
5. A study was conducted to assess the relationship between flow intake of folate supplementation during pregnancy and development of neural tube defects in offspring (10 marks)
6. Comparing the effectiveness of 4- weeks of meditation program versus 4 -weeks of mild cardio
and 30 min meditation to reduce mental fatigue in breast cancer survivors (10 marks)
· Please use a word document to write your assessment
· Please mention the name of the learning facilitator in your assessment
· You must write the title and give the in-text citation of the paper in part 1 when you give answers for Q 1-5
· Please use Times New Roman or Arial font
· The font size should be 12
· Leave 1.5 spacing between your lines
· All the pages in the word document should be numbered
Access assignment link on Blackboard under Assessment 2 – submission via Assessment in main navigation menu in Blackboard. The learning facilitator will provide feedback via Grade Centre in the Blackboard portal. Feedback can be viewed in My Grades.
It is essential that you use appropriate APA style for citing and referencing research. Please see more information on referencing in the Academic Skills webpage at https:// library.torrens.edu.au/academicskills/apa/tool.
All students are responsible for ensuring that all work submitted is their own and is appropriately referenced and academically written according to the Academic Writing Guides. Students also need to have read and be aware of Torrens University Australia Academic Integrity Policy and Procedure and subsequent penalties for academic misconduct. these are viewable online here; https://www.torrens.edu.au/policies- andforms
Students also must keep a copy of all submitted material and any assessment drafts.
To apply for special consideration for a modification to an assessment or exam due to unexpected or extenuating circumstances, please consult the Assessment Policy for Higher Education Coursework and ELICOS and, if applicable to your circumstance, submit a completed Application for Assessment Special Consideration Form to your Learning Facilitator.
ASSESSMENT RUBRICS check attached file and follow
85-100% grade please