Narrowed Focus for the Research Paper
- To motivate students to narrow the focus of their research paper
- To begin the process of writing a research paper by doing preliminary research
- To practice and engage in the beginning stage in the process of writing--that of doing research
- To avoid procrastination
- Use your chosen topic (uploaded in Canvas last week)
- Narrow the focus of your research paper by choosing one of the following arguments about it and filling in the blanks with words appropriate for your topic:
- The ___________ should not be removed from its location since it plays an important role in the community of _____________.
- The ___________ should not have been removed from its location since it played an important role in the community of _____________.
- Public funding should be provided to care for the ______________ since it plays an important role in the community of ________________.
- Public funding should continue to pay for the care and upkeep of the ________________ since the sculpture plays an important role in the community of _______________.
- Type the topic and argument of your research paper.
- Follow the formatting in the example below
- Upload your assignment as a doc, docx, or PDF in Canvas and click on the box verifying you're submitting your own work before the deadline on Sunday.
Background Information about the Following Example
Here is an example of a student's assignment written about the Cardiff Kook, a sculpture of a surfer that stands along Highway 101 in Encinitas. For a while, the community argued about whether or not the sculpture should be removed since many of the residents said it is a poorly crafted representation of a surfer. Since Encinitas is a surfing town, it seemed inappropriate and insulting to some to have a "kook," slang for someone who doesn't know how to surf, represent their surfing community. Today the community has embraced the "Kook" which they often dress up for events and special occasions. In this case, the "Kook" has been dressed up to celebrate the birthday of the painter Vincent van Gogh. It's interesting how our artwork and our treatment of it helps to tell our story.
Image of the Cardiff Kook dressed up as the artist Van Gogh
Example Topic and Narrowed Focus
(Please do NOT write a paragraph as you see above; instead, include only the information as you see it below.)
Present your identification information in MLA format in the upper left-hand corner, like this:
Itzel XXXXX (Student's first and last name)
20 Aug. 2020
The Cardiff Kook
Topic and Argument:
Public funding should continue to pay for the care and upkeep of the Cardiff Kook since the sculpture plays an important role in the community of Encinitas.